7.31.2011

a kingdom direction

Alright, seriously, I'm going to stop talking about this. I promise. This'll be the last time.

.. I hope.

So! If you've been keeping up you know how anxious and sad yet still a little hopeful and excited I have been about this whole moving to Nashville business. Now, I'm going to tell you about what God's just shown me today.

Time out. Happy Sabbath, everyone! I hope your day was delightful.

Okay, back in action. Today, I had the pleasure of visiting new churches. This morning I went with my family and Zack & Kristen (who are amazing and I'm so sad that they're gone) to West End Community Church and heard a great sermon with some rock concert music. But tonight! I went to City Church and it. was. amazing. I went all by myself so I was a little nervous but the second I got there they were so welcoming and nice! A girl took me under her wing immediately and invited me to sit with her! How classy! I was even asked to dinner with some folks. People are kind here and I like it.

The best part of the day was the sermon from the assistant pastor Tom Darnell. Wowzers. There are no words to describe how enthralled I was. You know when you're really nervous and down about something and then you hear a sermon that you directly identify with? That's what happened tonight. I love how God soothes my doubts and calms my fears so entirely and clearly. Here's what he preached about:


[6] And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia. [7] And when they had come up to Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them. [8] So, passing by Mysia, they went down to Troas. [9] And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing there, urging him and saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” [10] And when Paul had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go on into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.
(Acts 16:6-10 ESV)



Okay, but really? I read that and thought, "Hmm... what in the world is He going to say through this? This seems a little bit like gobbledy-gook to me. I don't see this going anywhere specific." Boy, was I wrong.


So, Paul and Timothy set off, thinking they're doing God's will in the direction they're headed. But then God's like, "Woah, hold up now guys, the direction of your travels was right for a little bit, now I want you to go this way." So off they go towards a different town and once again they're stopped and God turns them to another completely different direction towards Macedonia! (Fun fact, Macedonia is now present day Europe so God was sending them to be the first to proclaim the Gospel in Europe. Cool, huh?) Why'd God do that? No idea. But He's sovereign. The cool part about this passage that I identified with a little is the attitude of Paul and Timothy. I know it doesn't say right there, but I can imagine what they were thinking. They may have been a little confused and frustrated, but they were tenderhearted towards God's will and followed Him. They trusted in His sovereignty. Do you see how this applies to me? God has uniquely directed my path for the advancement of His kingdom. He is divinely leading me.


More and more I'm learning that to be in the body of Christ is to proclaim His gospel in every situation in every place. I'm suddenly reminded of one of my favorite passages of scripture that I shall share with you.


[9] But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. [10] Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
(1 Peter 2:9-10 ESV)

I'll close with a bit from a song we sang at the end of the service:
"God's compassion is my story
It is my boasting all the day
Mercy free and never failing
Moves my will, directs my way."





boom. roasted.


Have a great rest of the day, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment