12.11.2010

o ancient doors.

I have this job. 
It's probably the greatest job anyone could ever ask for. 
I have the best boss. The coolest coworkers. We work long hours together. This job will definitely be one of the main things I miss when I go to Belmont in the fall. 
We do stuff like: 
shoot wasps nests with giant slingshots and balloons full of wasp poison. 
lead an entire dining hall full of strangers in the Jai Ho dance.
drive giant tractors.
rescue people who have fallen out of their canoe into the lake.
drive around on golf carts dressed as a bumblebees, princesses, and generally, just idiots.
we answer the phone with "Twin Lakes, this is a Storm Trooper, how may I help you?"
tell folks about Jesus.
and also show them Jesus by serving them however we can.


I'm a Host at Twin Lakes Conference Center in (contrary to popular belief) HARRISVILLE.


One time, months ago, I was hosting with these two great guys named Aubrey and Ethan. I got off earlier than them and left them a note that greeted them as they walked in. It was Psalm 24. I left them that specific Psalm because it says "the LORD of hosts". And we're hosts! It just fit. 
They thought it was very clever and funny. We even approached our boss-man about putting it on our uniforms. It didn't work, haha.


I know that story was very anti-climatic. BUT. The moral of the story isn't the horrible climax. It's the Psalm. You should read it sometime. And just in case you'd like to read it now, I've left it for ya. Just thinking ahead, you know.


[a psalm of David]

The earth is the LORD's and the fullness thereof,
the world and those who dwell therein,
  for he has founded it upon the seas
and established it upon the rivers.

Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?
And who shall stand in his holy place?
  He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not lift up his soul to what is false
and does not swear deceitfully.
  He will receive blessing from the LORD
and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
  Such is the generation of those who seek him,
who seek the face of the God of Jacob.

Lift up your heads, O gates!
And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
  Who is this King of glory?
The LORD, strong and mighty,
the LORD, mighty in battle!
  Lift up your heads, O gates!
And lift them up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
  Who is this King of glory?
The LORD of hosts,
he is the King of glory!
 (Psalm 24)


listen here. This is Nathan Clark George singing Psalm 24. I know this is a bad recording, but I really wanted you to see this guy. That's what's cool about this guy; he makes songs out of straight scripture, and it's beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Once, I got to help Nathan pack up all his sound gear and everything, just him and me, and then he said "thank you!" What a great guy! It's kind of a shining point in my life. (side note little fact about me: I get incredibly star-struck). 


So listen to the Psalm. Or just read it. Whichever. But most importantly:
Let it soak into those bones. 
Let it carry you away.


Lastly, guys! He is the King of glory! The LORD, strong and mighty!


peace




:)

No comments:

Post a Comment